New England Merchants in the Seventeenth Century

Monson, Massachusetts


The first regular establishment of Catholic worship in Monson occurred in the fall of 1878. Previous to that time the services there were of a missionary character, and were under the supervision, in latter years, of Rev. F. J. Lynch, of the village of Three Rivers, in the town of Palmer. The Rev. Mr. O'Riley was installed pastor of the church in October, 1878. A pleasant church edifice was erected in the village several years before. After the settlement of the pastor a parsonage was purchased, and several acres of land, for the purpose of establishing a Catholic cemetery in the town. The church is reported to be in a prosperous condition.

These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2006, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in print or electronic format is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 13 Feb 2006