Russell — Organization
Extracted from "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts, Volume II," by Louis H. Everts, 1879.
Feb. 25, 1792, Russell was incorporated as a town, and was made up of a portion of Montgomery and a portion of that part of Westfield known as the New Addition. The town was named in honor of a Mr. Russell, of Boston, upon his agreeing to donate a bell for the first church erected by the inhabitants. For some unexplained reason Mr. Russell was never called upon to ratify his promise, but the honor was his, nevertheless. The town records, especially those of early dates, are in a very imperfect condition, while the records of town-meetings from 1792 to 1804 are not to be found.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2005, all rights reserved
and cannot be reproduced in any format without permission
This page was last updated on
29 Jul 2005