renovation of the Church building. No plans or drawings of the Church could be found and the building was measured and plans and specifications for new floors, altered heating system and new painting and decorating prepared under direction of the Commandant in the Armory drafting room and by Armory workmen out of government hours. By that time Colonel Blunt had been at the Parish meeting in January 1909, elected to the Vestry and appointed a member of the Property Committee. Of the committee's work Dr. Slattery stated in the Christ Church Chronicle: "We owe much to the Property Committee, especially to Colonel Blunt who has given all the work his constant supervision and care." Its cost was about $6,000.00.
         Two other devoted workers in Christ Church that the Army, if not the Springfield Armory, can claim as its own were General James Barnes and Major Homer G. Gilmore. General Barnes graduated from West Point in 1829 and after some years of military service resigned, settled in Springfield and became a distinguished civil engineer. When the civil war broke out he returned to service, attained high rank and was severely wounded. His wife was particularly prominent and influential in Springfield in organizing and prosecuting the home duties incident to war that only women can successfully conduct. General Barnes served for six years as a Vestryman; one of the chancel windows is a memorial of him.
         Major Gilmore is spoken of fully elsewhere in this work but his name cannot be omitted from this summary of the connection of the Armory and the Army with Christ Church. He answered President Lincoln's first call for volunteers, rose in rank from Private to Major, served with marked distinction, was severely wounded and returning to his home in Springfield was later elected a member of Christ Church Vestry, so continuing for twenty-two years until his death. One of the clearstory windows is a memorial to him.
         Christ Church's' Honor Roll for the World War contains one hundred and nine names of men and five of women, members of this parish, who, leaving their usual avocations and answering


These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 1999 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in any format or posting to mailing lists is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 27 Jul 2005