History of The
By Winthrop S. Bagg
THE ORPHEUS CLUB, Springfield's oldest musical organization, has the added distinction of being almost without a parallel in the United States for continuous and successful activity. It was started in 1873, originally a club of sixteen voices, the purpose being both musical and social, and throughout its existence it has a ways held a high place in the life of the city.
To Amos Whiting must be given the credit for the idea, as the Orpheus Club is the outcome of his earnest effort to promote interest in choral work. A devoted following of the best singers in town met in Mr. Whiting's rooms in the Barnes Block, which was located where Forbes & Wallace now stands, to study and prepare themselves for such occasions as might develop.
On Friday evening, September 20th, 1872, a concert was given in the Opera House, now the site of the Capitol Theater, under Mr. Whiting's direction, at which Miss Antoinette Stirling, contralto, and Miss Jennie Crawford, pianist, appeared as soloists. The program announced that this was the "Orpheus Society's first appearance." Another concert was given at the same place October 1st, without soloists, and on October 16th, the society appeared again with Miss Edith Abell and Myron W. Whitney, Boston's famous basso. November 13th, a fourth concert was given, this time with Miss Stirling, Miss Minna Sites, pianist, and Wulf Fries, 'cellist, this concert being under the direction of Louis Coenen.
Mr. Coenen, a talented Dutch musician, had given up his position as first violin in a visiting orchestra, and had taken up teaching in the city. He brought a wide experience to his work, and though the society continued to meet in Mr. Whiting's rooms, Mr. Coenen assumed the leadership of the organization.
In the fall of 1873 there was a re-organization, and the name "Orpheus Club" was adopted. Rehearsals began during the winter, and on April 17th, 1874, this program was given in the Opera House, Miss Abell being the assisting artist, and Mr. Coenen giving two violin numbers. Program: "VINETA," Abt; "THE NORTHMAN'S SONG," Kucken; "THE VOYAGE," Mendelssohn; "THE TIME OF SONG IS COME," Ries; "LOVE AND WINE," Mendelssohn; "TURKISH DRINKING SONG," Mendelssohn; "LOVE BEARETH PATIENTLY," Ries; "THE DANCE" (Pretty Maiden), Otto.
On this occasion the club printed on the program the names of its members, and they are as follows :-- First tenors, Henry F. Trask, Thomas N. Newton, E.P. Bartholomew, Alpheus Rice; second tenors, W.H. King, James D. Safford, 0.H. Perry, Thomas H. Stock; first basses, James D. Foot, Charles 0. Chapin, J.J.F. Devereaux, Harry Pearsall; second basses, Charles Mulchahey, Albert Holt, Edmund Hirst, Frank H. Fisher, and Frank D. Foot.
This was announced as the first concert of the Orpheus Club, and was so successful that it was repeated on May 6th. With this encouragement the club became permanently organized with Albert Holt, President; James D. Safford, Vice-President, Henry F. Trask, Secretary; William H. King, Treasurer, and J.J.F. Devereaux, Librarian. It was at this time that the club became so ambitious that it secured two out of town concert dates, one at New Haven, Conn., and the other at Pittsfield on the following night. The New Haven concert was a financial failure, partly due to the theft of the door receipts, and the club narrowly missed making the Pittsfield engagement by the threatened arrest of some of the leading members until the bill was paid. The Boston & Albany R.R. Co., charged the club $3.00 for a tin box and padlock, which had been borrowed to carry the money in, and which the thief used for just that purpose.
In the fall the club began preparations for another concert. This was given on January 15th, 1875, in Peabody Guard Hall, now known as the Carlisle Building, with the assistance of Miss Henrietta Beebe of New York, soprano. Three more concerts were given that year, April 1st, May 6th, and June 12th, each time with a soloist, Miss Beebe appearing again at the last concert.
On December 15th, 1875, the club opened its second season in the Opera House, and gave concerts on the following dates: February 16th, April 26th and June 7th, each time with assisting artists. The club was steadily growing in popular favor, and also numerically, for its membership was increased to twenty-five, with a large waiting list of candidates.
The third season opened December 22nd, 1876, with Miss Clementina V. Lasar, soprano soloist in the Plymouth Church of Brooklyn, who had delighted the audience at a previous concert. February 13th was the date of the next concert, and Miss Jennie M. Patrick, then a resident of Warren, Mass., was the soloist. The third concert was held April 18th, 1877, and this is notable for being the first one held in City Hall, and the first at which an orchestra appeared, Mr. Coenen's Orchestral Club being the attraction. At the last concert of the season, June 6th, the Orchestral Club again appeared, and also Mrs. William C. McClallan, a local singer of rare talent, marked ability and personal charm.
The fourth season opened at City Hall, December 18th, 1877, with Miss Lillian Norton, later known as Madame Nordica, the famous soprano, and the Orchestral Club. In passing it is interesting to note that the price paid
Miss Norton was twenty-five dollars. At this concert a song, "Laughing," was sung, the words of which were translated for the club by one of its members, F. W. Ley. Four concerts were given this season, at one of which the Swedish Ladies' Vocal Quartette, a popular organization of the time, appeared with the club. At the third concert, a song entitled "The Reveille" which was composed for the club by Edward H. Phelps, was sung.
Notable features of the fifth season were the reappearance of the Swedish
Ladies' Quartette, Edward Remenyi, the great violinist, Miss Abell and
Miss Henrietta Beebe, and the use of a small organ which was played by
George R. Bond. The Beethoven String Orchestra, which afterwards appeared in Springfield frequently, came to the city for the first time this season.
The first concert of the sixth season, December 13th, 1879, was the first one at which George W. Sumner conducted. Mr. Coenen had felt obliged to give up the duties, and Mr. Sumner, who came highly recommended, was an able successor. In the course of the four concerts of the season, the club engaged the Mendelssohn String Quartet; Miss Fannie Kellogg, soprano;
H.G. Tucker, pianist; Miss Ida Hubbell, soprano; Miss Gertrude Franklin, soprano; Miss Emma Thursby, soprano, and Timothi Adamowski, violinist. Mr. E.H. Phelps also assisted at the organ. By invitation of the local Grand Army Post, the club assisted at the services held in City Hall on Memorial Day.
December 21st, 1880, was the date of the first concert of the seventh season, and four interesting programs were given, each with fine artists. At the third concert, the club sang two selections which had never before been given in this country, the words of which were translated for the club by Mrs. L.T. Craigin of Boston.
September 26th, 1881, a Garfield Memorial service was held in City Hall, and the Orpheus Club, with Mrs. William McClallan as soloist, sang several appropriate numbers.
When the club opened its eighth season, December 21st, 1881, it had forty members and an associate or subscribing membership of two hundred. Adequate soloists, both vocal and instrumental, were provided for each of the four concerts, and it was altogether a successful season. After the second concert, March 14th, the club was invited by Mr. Nathan D. Bill to Barr's restaurant, where the members enjoyed his 'hospitality as host.
At the last concert of the season, it is worthy of note that two quartets, made up from the club membership took part in the program. They were Messrs. Gould, Ingersoll, Whiting, and Bond, and Messrs. Trask, Morris, Spencer, and Foot. Mr. E.L. Sumner of Worcester, brother of the conductor, was the accompanist.
The season of 1882-83, the ninth in the club's history, opened December 20th, with Miss Henrietta Beebe, a favorite with Springfield audiences, and Adolph Hartdegen, 'cellist, for soloists, and later in the season the Listemann Concert Company of Boston was the assisting attraction. All four concerts were of high merit. The Listemann players availed themselves of the services of Thomas Carr of this city to play the drums, and he is still available for similar duty requiring expert work in this line. On the evening of February 1st, 1882, the club sang in the Chicopee Town Hall for the benefit of the Library Fund.
December 18th, 1883, the Listemann players again appeared, with Miss Gertrude Edmands, contralto, and E.L. Sumner at the organ. Three more concerts followed, all of high order.
At the first concert of the eleventh season, December 19th, 1884, Miss Elene Buffington Kehew, a Boston soprano, who had appeared the season before, was soloist. Later in this season the Germania String Quartet appeared, and at the last concert, the Beethoven Club, a small Boston orchestra. During this season the club sang at the celebration of Springfield's 250th Anniversary. In the absence abroad of Mr. Sumner, John A. Preston conducted. At the last concert of this season a Women's Chorus of thirty-four local singers sang for the first time. On September 23rd, the club sang by special invitation at the Worcester Music Festival. On December 16th, 1885, the Women's Chorus again appeared and also a soprano, Mrs. Medora Henson-Emerson, and Fritz Giese, 'cellist. At succeeding concerts the Courtney Ladies Quartet, the Beethoven players, and Leopold Lichtenberg, violinist, were heard with much pleasure.
Among many artists of the thirteenth season were two local stars, Mrs. Enos Smith, mezzo-soprano, and Mrs. C. W. Scott, contralto. Mrs. Jeannie Patrick Walker also sang again at the fourth concert. Mr. Whitney Mockridge, a notable tenor, was one of the soloists of the fourteenth season, and the Women's Chorus, which was rapidly growing in favor, was again received with much enthusiasm. By an announcement on its program the club offered its associate members the privilege of attending its rehearsals on certain dates, and many availed themselves of the offer. In order to use the same soloists the club gave two separate programs on consecutive nights, March 20th and 21st, 1888, the third and fourth concerts of this season. These concerts were given in the Old First Church, and the soloists were S.M. Lee, Jr., a Northampton tenor; Charles N. Allen, violinist of Boston; W.C. Hammond of Holyoke at the organ; Miss Alma F. Campbell of Westfield, accompanist, and the ever popular Women's Chorus. For good measure the club gave an extra concert in City Hall on the evening of May 9th, with the assistance of Mrs. Peter S. Bailey, soprano of this city, and Francis Fisher Powers of Brooklyn, baritone.
Mrs. Bailey sang again most acceptably during the fifteenth season, and also Corinne Moore Lawson, Signor Del Puente, baritone, and the Women's Chorus. At the last concert, Maud Powell, violinist, was the star. At this concert the club sang a song by Dubois, the words of which had been translated for the_occasion by Nathan Haskell Dole.
The sixteenth season opened Wednesday, December 4th, 1889, and for soloists the club offered the Berkeley Ladies' Quartet, and the Beethoven String Sextette. It was at this concert that Mr. Bishop first took up his duties as accompanist. This season brought other choice soloists, and the Women's Chorus was used effectively, as was also the Boy Choir of Christ Church. The last concert of the season was May 27th.
During the summer, Mr. Sumner, who was spending his vacation at Orr's Island, Maine, was taken ill, and died. This was a severe blow to the club, for under his gifted leadership notable progress had been made. His funeral was held at the Arlington St. Church, Boston, where for eighteen years he had been organist, and on that occasion three of the club's members, Messrs. Trask, Foot and Bond, acted as bearers.
On Wednesday evening, April 22nd, 1891, the club gave a Sumner Memorial
Concert in the City Hall, assisted by the Arlington St. Church Choir, Mrs.
Jennie Patrick Walker, Miss Gertrude Edmands, Carl Pflueger, and Sullivan A. Sargent and the Women's Chorus. At this concert, which was conducted by E. Cutter, Jr., of Boston, one of Mr. Sumner's compositions was sung.
It was in 1890 that the club became incorporated under the laws of Massachusetts. The petitioners for this were: H.A. Chapin, Frank D. Foot,
L.C. Scheuing, J.C. Ingersoll, H.F. Trask, 0.B. Ireland, Frederick H. Gillett and E.P. Bartholomew.
December 10th, 1890, the seventeenth season opened with Mr. Cutter as conductor. It was replete with good music and fine soloists. It was during this period that the club engaged an orchestra of twenty-one men, a larger organization than it had ever had before. It was the Boston Solo Orchestra, under the direction of Emil Mollenhauer, who was afterward to become such a favorite in Springfield. It also took up two works that were longer than anything attempted before, "The Longbeard's Saga" by Lloyd, and "Melusina" by Hofmann, in which George R. Bond of the club had a solo part. The fourth concert was May 26th with the Berkeley Ladies' Quartet.
The eighteenth season opened December 9th, 1891, and as usual four concerts were given, all of which were of high order. The Women's Chorus was used effectively, especially at the second concert when the club gave the first performance of "Nain," a pastoral cantata by Homer A. Norris. The Boston Philharmonic Orchestra of forty pieces also assisted. A song, composed by Mr. Cutter expressly for the Orpheus Club, and dedicated to Mr. Trask, president of the club, was sung at this concert, the words being taken from Longfellow's, "Stay, stay at home, my heart and rest.
At the third concert, March 23rd, at which Madame Lillian Blauvelt, soprano, and Heinrich Meyn, baritone, were the soloists, another song composed for the club by Mr. Cutter was sung, this being dedicated to F.D. Foot, vice-president.
The nineteenth season was one of steady growth, and the club had now become a star of the first magnitude in the musical world. Soloists were glad to be invited to sing under its name, and the club numbered sixty active members. So of the twentieth season, much might be said, if space allowed. They were successful seasons, made so by the fine work of the club, and well chosen assisting artists.
For the first concert of the twenty-first season a new conductor had been engaged. Mr. Cutter's health made it unwise for him to continue longer, and his resignation was reluctantly accepted. The club was fortunate in choosing his successor, however, and Horatio W. Parker, of New Haven, the noted composer, became the club's musical director. At the third concert the Springfield Symphony Orchestra of thirty-five men, under E. Severn, Jr., divided honors with the Women's Chorus as assisting artists. It was this season that the club began the plan of three annual concerts instead of four.
In the summer of 1895, Prof. Parker informed the officers that his duties at Yale College took so much of his time that he would be unable to lead the club, and on his resignation, John J. Bishop, who had been the efficient accompanist for six years, was unanimously choosen to fill the vacancy. Up to this time the concerts had been rather exclusive inasmuch as they were only open to the associate members and their friends, but with the twenty-first season the management voted to offer the tickets at public sale, and this plan has been followed ever since.
At the first concert of the twenty-second season, the club was assisted by Miss Emma Juch, soprano, and H. Evan Williams, tenor, besides the Women's Chorus. The second concert of this season was held in Court Square Theatre, owing to repairs in the City Hall, and conflicting dates made it necessary to continue at the theatre until the second concert of the following season.
At the last concert, April 22nd, 1896, the Women's Chorus sang, Blaisdell's Orchestra played, and in addition to this, there were two sopranos and a baritone as soloists. Part second of the program was devoted to the rendering of "The Earl King's Daughter," by Gade.
For the first concert of the twenty-third season the club gave as its chief work Massenet's "Narcissus." At the second, the principal artist was Gregorowitsch, the great violinist. Corinne Moore Lawson was to have
appeared, but was obliged to cancel her engagement, and her place was acceptably filled by Miss Marie Schwill. At the last concert the club was assisted by Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Van Yorx, and the Springfield Philharmonic Orchestra under F.P. Nutting.
At the first concert of the twenty-fourth season, the club gave as its principal work Rheinberger's "Toggenburg," a cantata for mixed voices. The solos in it were taken by Miss Anna Beauchemin, Miss Julia B. Dickinson, Mrs. H.B. Waite and W.G. Chamberlin, all local singers. At the second concert, Mr. Bishop's composition for the club, "Oh, my love is like a red, red rose," was sung for the first time. The last part of the program of the third concert was devoted to the rendering of Mendelssohn's "Loreley," with Mrs. Jennie Patrick Walker, soloist.
On December 7th, 1898, the club gave as its chief program number "The Crusaders," a cantata by Gade, with soloists and the Boston Festival Orchestra under Mollenhauer. A number of much charm and merit on the program of the second concert of the twenty-fifth season was the initial performance of "Robin Hood," composed by Edmund Severn, Jr., and sung with orchestra. At this concert thirty-six former members were invited from the audience to take part in the closing number. At the last concert, April 11th, the club sang Smart's cantata, "The Bride of Dunkerron," with soloists, Women's Chorus, and orchestra. During the course of the twenty-sixth season the club sang among many fine numbers one by Horatio W. Parker, "Dream King and His Love," a composition that gave much pleasure.
H. Evan Williams, and the Boston Festival Orchestra opened the twenty-seventh season, January 30th, 1901, and the first half of the program was taken up with the singing of S. Coleridge-Taylor's, "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast." At the last concert the club was assisted by Miss Shannah Cumming soprano, the New York Philharmonic Club, and the Women's Chorus, and offered a miscellaneous program of much charm.
On December 4th, 1901, the club opened its 28th season, and with an all star cast made up of Mme. Evta Kileski-Bradbury, Mme. Ernestine Fish,
H. Evan Williams, Gwylym Miles and John F. Ahern, devoted its whole program to Sir Arthur Sullivan's "Golden Legend." It was a notable performance.
Two more concerts were given February 12th, and April 29th. At the
latter concert, Miss Emilie L. Gehring, of this city, was one of the soloists. In 1902 the club and its auxiliary chorus numbered 220 voices, and its concerts were looked forward to with keen interest.
At the first concert of the twenty-ninth season the club gave "Hiawatha's Departure," by S. Coleridge-Taylor, with Emelio de Gogorza taking the baritone solos.
February 6th, the club had the assistance of the Northampton Vocal Club, Ralph L. Baldwin, conductor, and the Schubert Club of Holyoke, which Mr. Bishop directed. These clubs jointly numbered one hundred and fifty, and sang effectively together and in separate numbers. Mr. Baldwin's "Hymn before Action" was one of the numbers much enjoyed. This concert was repeated at Holyoke City Hall on the following night. It had been given in The Academy of Music, Northampton, on February 5th. At the second concert of the thirtieth season, the assisting attraction was the Schubert Club of Holyoke, and Clarence B. Shirley, tenor, of Boston. The Schubert Club of Holyoke also sang at the first concert of the thirty-first season, December 6th, 1904. The second concert was held in the High School Hall, January 7th, 1905, owing to the conflicting dates at the City Hall.
No other concert was given until December 12th, 1905, when the Orpheus Club gave "The Messiah" in the Court Square Theatre with the help of the Women's Chorus. Miss Anita Rio, soprano; Mrs. Adele Laeis Baldwin, contralto; Glenn Hall, tenor, and Mr. Daniels, bass, substituting for Frank Croxton who was kept away by illness, were the soloists. With this concert the club began its plan of one concert a year, and on December 13th, 1906, repeated "The Messiah." This time the quartet consisted of Miss Louise Ormsby, soprano; Mrs. Margaret Gerry Guckenberger, alto; David Beddoe, tenor, and Willard E. Flint, bass.
The 1908 concert was in Court Square Theatre on February 1st, when Elgar's "King Olaf" was given with soloists, orchestra and the Women's Chorus. On December 16th, of the same year, a chorus of two hundred gave Massenet's "Eve," and Mendelssohn's "First Walpurgis Night," with orchestra and soloists, the alto being Miss Ernestine J. Gauthier of this city.
In the thirty-sixth season the club gave Gounod's "Redemption," with soloists and orchestra. For this occasion Trinity Church was used, and the large organ was played by Harry H. Kellogg. This was the last concert at which the Women's Chorus has been used with the club. The following December the club gave another concert in Trinity Church with Miss Christine Miller, contralto; W.C. Hammond, organist, and Francis Lapitino, harpist, assisting.
The next year, which was the thirty-eighth season, the concert was given on December 13th, and Trinity Church was used again. In the "Discovery," by Grieg, Richard Campbell of the club took the solos. The 1912 concert was given December 4th, also at Trinity, and the program was made up of miscellaneous numbers. The opening and closing numbers with organ, were very effective. Walter B. Marsh of the club sang the solo in one number on the program. After the destruction of the old City Hall by fire in 1906, the club was obliged to hold its concerts in various other places, but in 1914, the New Municipal Auditorium having been completed, the club gave the concert of its 40th season there, with soloists, an d thirty players from the Springfield Municipal Orchestra under Andries Corneilsson.
The next year the club had for assistance the Springfield Symphony Orchestra under Emil K. Janser, and Anita Rio, prima donna, soprano. This was a memorable concert in many ways. The orchestra, made up of local players, was an enjoyable feature, and merited a longer life than it enjoyed. A number on the program, "An English Sailor Song," written for the club by Mr. Bishop, was received with much appreciation. In the opening number, "Paul Revere's Ride," by Buck, the solos were taken by Walter B. Marsh, and Charles L. Hoyt. At the concert of January 12th, 1916, a song, "An Orchard through Whose Mellow Shade," composed by Edson P. Hadley, and dedicated to the club, was sung, and received with much pleasure by the audience.
The concert given December 13th, 1916, was the club's 126th and for it Andrea Sarto, baritone, and the Boston Festival Orchestra were engaged. Among the many interesting numbers was a composition by Director Bishop, "Orpheus with His Lute," composed for and dedicated to the club, which was sung for the first time.
The 1917 concert was given in the midst of war excitement, and the program opened with the "Star Spangled Banner," for the club, audience, orchestra, and organ, and closed with, "Onward Christian Soldiers," and these were inspiring numbers. Like many other organizations, the Orpheus Club membership was depleted during this period, since forty-two men of the club answered the call to colors. In the second number on the program, Walter B. Marsh and Edward E. Hosmer of the club sang the solos.
The 134th concert was not held until January 8th, 1919, owing to the inability to secure the Auditorium for an earlier date. Grace Bonner Williams, soprano, Carl Webster, 'cellist, and the Boston Festival Orchestra were the assisting artists. On December 10th, the same year, the concert of the 46th season was given, and opened with the "Star Spangled Banner," as did all the club's concerts during this period. For the closing number of this concert, the club sang Victor Herbert's stirring "Call to Freedom" with fine effect. The club branched out this year in order to recover from a depleted treasury, and on October 12th, afternoon and evening, gave in the Auditorium a high class Minstrel Show. This was complete in every detail with band and street parade, the parade being reviewed in front of the Municipal Group by many former members.
The famous mezzo-soprano, Carmela Ponselle, was the star of the 47th season, the concert being given January 10th, 1921 "Paul Revere's Ride" by Buck was the principal number, Messrs. Marsh and Hosmer of the club taking the solos.
Thursday evening, December 15th, 1921, the club gave its concert with the People's Orchestra of Boston, and Paul Althouse, the Metropolitan tenor. By special request, the Victor Herbert number "Call to Freedom" was repeated, Mr. Althouse taking the solos. For the forty-ninth season the club had Miss Jeanette Vreeland, a soprano who had given great pleasure to the Festival audience the year before, and with the Boston Symphony Ensemble scored another musical triumph. Another beautiful number, "Shall I Wasting in Despair," by Conductor Bishop, the stirring "There are Large, Eternal Fellows," with solos by Mr. Ahern of the club, and the famous double chorus number, "Thou Comest Here to the Land," by Mendelssohn, made up a program long to be remembered.
Thus through fifty years of varying conditions the Orpheus Club has steadily grown in popularity, and amid the many musical events of the season its annual concerts are awaited with interest. It has always lent its aid when needed, and its singing at the City's 250th Anniversary was an instance when it fitted the occasion admirably.
On December 8th, 1913, the Orpheus Club sang at the dedication of the New Municipal Buildings, one of its numbers being an "Ode" written by Charles G. Whiting, and set to the music of Martin Luther's hymn. It has sung at many out of town concerts, especially notable being those given at Mt. Holyoke and Smith Colleges. The club has sung in Holyoke a number of times; it went to Brattleboro February 29th, 1916; to Worcester January 9th, 1918; to Greenfield January 12th, 1920, and to New Britain, Conn., March 1st, 1923. On these occasions vestibuled trains have been used and for the longer trips supper served en route. In the earlier days it was customary for the club to serenade the homes of its friends and associates. The Howard School on Union Street, and the newspaper offices were among those so honored, and it not infrequently happened that the singers were invited in for light refreshment.
The club's annual banquets have always been bright affairs at the close of the season, and its archives contain much interesting matter that has been used on these occasions. A letter from "Philetus Ash, of South Ashfield," who was none other than Edward Morris, a valued member of the club, came to be one of the choice things expected annually. Of especial interest is the comparison of a menu of those early days with one of today. The following was served at the Old Massasoit House in 1880, at seventy-five cents per plate.
|NEAPOLITAN ICE CREAM
COFFEE ICE CREAM
ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING
The club has always been able to find excellent soloists available from among its membership, and in the early days frequently called upon Messrs. Trask, Foot, King, Mulchahey, Waite, Bond, Holbrook, Ley, Ingersoll, Morris, Chapin, Kirkham, Wheeler, George, Buchholz, Spencer and Roberts, and in these latter days on Messrs. Hadley, Chamberlin, Goodwin, Ahern, Hoyt, Marsh and Hosmer.
Among the composers who have written for the club appear the names of Edward H. Phelps, E. Cutter, Jr., Edmund Severn, Jr., Edson P. Hadley, Cecil Forsythe, and John J. Bishop.
Loyalty has always been and is today an outstanding feature of the membership, and it has always been highly fortunate in its choice of officers. Too much can hardly be said of those who from the first have generously given of their time, energy, and money, that the organization might succeed.
While many have shared in this quality, the names of Trask, Ireland, Scheuing, and Benchley must be cited for conspicuous service. Perhaps no one factor has contributed more to the club's standing in recent years, than the inspiring leadership of John J. Bishop, who has successfully directed the club for more than half the years of its existence. In 1903 the Orpheus Club revived the May Music Festivals, which had been abandoned since 1899, and formed the nucleus for the present Springfield Music Festival Association. Both these organizations which mean so much to Greater Springfield, are under the leadership of Mr. Bishop.
© Laurel O'Donnell 1998 - 2005, all rights reserved
This document may be downloaded for personal non-commerical use only
and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.