History Of The "Old High School" 1828-1840
by Charles Wells Chapin

        In May, 1842, Mr. Wilcox sold the property to Joel Chapin for $2,000. In May, 1844, Mr. Chapin sold it to E. & S. Woodworth for $3,000. On the death of the Messrs. Woodworth Mrs. Mary A. Amidon became the heir and owner. In April, 1866, Lyman King bought the property for $7,000 and on the same date sold one-half of it to the present owner, Joel S. Marsh, for $5,000.


        Saturday was the day for the scholars to speak their pieces, which was done from the platform on the north side of the room. The following pieces are mainly from the, National Reader," published in Boston, 1829. One of the boys, who was a merchant in New York city, spoke from an oration of Catiline before the Roman senate.

        My voice is still for war; for, gods, can a Roman senate long debate which of the two to choose-slavery or death ? No; let us rise at once, gird on our swords, break through their thick array, and charge home upon them. Perhaps some arm more lucky than the rest may reach his heart and free the world from bondage.

        The boy who recited this piece was impressed with "funeral dirges."


Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note,
   As his corse to the rampart we hurried;
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
   O'er the grave where our hero we buried.

We buried him darkly, at dead of night,
   The sods with our bayonets turning;
By the struggling moonbeams' misty light,
   And the lantern dimly burning.

No useless coffin enclosed his breast,
   Nor in sheet nor in shroud we wound him;
But be lay like a warrior taking his rest,
   With his martial cloak around him. — C. Wolfe.

page 82

© Laurel O'Donnell 1998 - 2005, all rights reserved
This document may be downloaded for personal non-commerical use only
and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.