The Great Flood of 1878
(1) (Top, left) Looking south in Elm street after the flood, showing covered bridge.
(2) (Top, center) Two whip factories (on the present site of the Swift Beef Company) wrecked in the flood.
(3) (Top, right) House on East Bartlett street, carried east by the flood.
(4) Showing flood damage at Great River bridge the morning of December 11, 1878. On the left is a tenement house and organ factory. Across the river can be seen the water tower, switch house, and freight house of the Boston & Albany R. R., also the Prospect Hill School.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2000 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in print or electronic format is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 22 Jul 2005