The "Rough and Ready"

The Rough and Ready

On the 18th of August, 1855, the "Rough and Ready" arrived in Westfield — a large crowd being at the freight station to unload her. J. M. Morse assembled his band and the new machine was hauled through Elm street with a large procession following until Park square was reached and then she was given a try out. At that time it was customary to play out vertically instead of horizontally, as is the custom at present. There was then a large cistern in front of what is now the Hampden National Bank and at the point where the Soldiers' Monument now stood is a flagstaff 185 feet high. Over this the new "Rough and Ready" threw a stream, and it was a satisfied body of firemen that took her to the engine house in the Town Hall that night.

About 1870, the tub was traded in for a chemical extinguisher, the Babcock Extinguisher Company taking the tub in payment.

The next heard of the tub was that she was at Danvers in 1875 under the name of "Ocean 3." From Danvers she went to Shirley in 1888 and was there called the "E. L. Wood." Again she was sold, this time to Westminster in 1896, where, as the "General Miles," she now is.

| Previous Page | Next Page |

| 250th Anniv. Program Home | 250th Anniv. Program Contents |
| Westfield Page | Hampden County History & Genealogy |

These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2000 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in print or electronic format is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 22 Jul 2005