to have a clergyman officiate there and here alternately; but such an arrangement was found impracticable. So strong was the desire of Episcopalians here to enjoy the services of the church, that it was not uncommon for some of them to go to the place just named, a distance of twelve or thirteen miles, that they might gratify the pious wishes of their hearts."
From 1818 to 1822 Colonel Lee repeatedly asked aid from Congress, from the Secretary of War, John C. Calhoun (who visited the Armory in 1820) and from the local congressman stating conditions and pleading for government funds for the support of the Chapel. Yet in 1822 he wrote: " . . . . we have employed a Chaplain, at various periods, and constantly during the past year but we have always paid them by subscription, and with such aid as we have obtained front other sources that the public funds." He never received tangible encouragement or financial support from the government except the use of the room. However unsought aid appeared on the Church's horizon in 1821, although later this too proved a forlorn hope.
At this period of our Church's history, it so happened that a wave of Unitarianism swept over Congregational New England. The First Church of Springfield was not directly influenced by it but about 117 of its members became dissatisfied with the doctrine preached there and began to attend the services at the Armory Hill Chapel. This was an unexpected and encouraging development and the churchmen felt justified in calling, as resident rector, (Feb. 1821) the Rev. Edward Rutledge, a young clergyman, in deacon's orders. He buoyantly wrote of his first Service: "The Chapel on this and many succeeding Sundays was very full. The number of families who took seats was about one hundred, but it is impossible to say how many are Episcopalians." He organized the Parish, and the first wardens and vestrymen were duly chosen (May 24, 1821). Their names appear in the lists of those who held positions of trust at the Armory. Mr. Lee said of this period "I do not find the name of the church in the manuscript left