one of the Armory buildings. This made it imperative to use the room called "The Chapel," for factory purposes. Colonel Lee was absent at the time of the fire, and we can imagine with what a heavy heart he received and read this letter from a dependable adherent, Adonijah Foote. " . . . . The wind (was) blowing almost a gale. . . . It was thought by some that the chapel could not be saved. Of course it was nearly cleared of its contents, but by the great exertions of the engines and men, on the roof, it is now standing . . . . The chapel is now cleared and benches up, that will hold about forty men, stocks and filers."
William Vittum, a young man living on the Armory grounds at that time, drew a picture of an old-time bucket brigade, whose efforts staid the ravages of the devastating flames. The picture was given to the Museum of Natural History by Lucius Allen a vestryman and loyal worker in Christ Church during her formative years. This historic scene, and an article written in the Hampden Journal, March 3, 1824, the week of the fire, furnish proof of the exact location of The Chapel on Armory Hill concerning which there has been a certain amount of reasonable doubt. The article reads: ". . . . . The Chapel which was directly in the course of the flames, and but a few feet from the burning building was by laudable exertions saved." Added to this, a map, hanging on the wall of the Armory Museum, shows clearly that the Chapel was a room in the Administration Building.
The late Colonel Stanhope E. Blunt told the writer that in spite of this written proof, there was a persistent tradition on the Armory grounds that the Chapel was a room in the building facing State Street now a continuation of the Administration Building. Mr. Lee's sermon also states that, "About the year 1831 the Chapel . . . . ceased to be a place of worship." He further says that the Rev. Mr. Doane was one of those who came there from Washington College (Trinity) Hartford. But Mr. Doane did not go to this college as professor until 1825 so it is probable that at the time of the fire (1824) the