CHRIST CHURCH AND THE WORLD WAR
The United States entered the World War April 6, 1917. From that date until the signing of the Armistice, the flags of the Allies and a Service Flag were hung at the rear of the nave. A beautiful National flag was carried in the procession each Sunday and one verse of "America" was sung before the congregation was seated. Before America entered the war the women of the Parish under the auspices of Christ Church Guild worked for the Belgian Relief Association in the Parish House, and there, when, like kindred organizations, the Guild became an auxiliary of the Red Cross, all the manifold hospital supplies were made. After the Armistice sewing was continued for the refugees of the devastated areas.
Among the examples of splendid patriotism exhibited as a family that of Col. Paul J. Norton is noteworthy, for he and his two sons, Lieut. Howard C. Norton and Lieut. John H. Norton gave distinguished service overseas. On the Roll of Honor were the names of five women, Catherine Blunt, Anne Chapin, Louise H. Gutberlet, Louise Chandler Newell and Elizabeth M. Spratt. The gold star men were Stuart Arthur Craig, Donald Earle Dunbar, the Reverend Walter Handley, Cyril A. Hitchcock, John Henry Norton, Hubert Cooper.
Mrs. Henry K. Baker was one who might well have been represented by a gold star, for in spite of many home, church, and social duties when the war broke out she threw herself whole-heartedly into Red Cross work until pneumonia claimed her as its victim. Her abounding, kindly humor, her self-effacing charities, her discerning sympathy, her strong faith -- born of deep personal griefs-place her in the list of those whom church, community and family rise up and call blessed.
Bishop Davies, Mr. McGann, and Mr. Laine each holds an