North Side, Westfield
North Side or Cellar Side includes the 360 acres, the first permanent grant of land by Springfield in December, 1658, to Capt. Thomas Cooper. It extended from the hill Wasapscotuck (Prospect) to Springdale Brook.
(1) Shows the iron bridge extending over Westfield River. (2) The present railroad station built about 1877, when the old structure was raised and moved to Parker Avenue. (3) The business center of the North Side, including several modern business buildings. (4) The old wooden bridge built in 1840 and demolished in 1879. (5) Great River Mills and bridge looking south.
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 2000 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in print or electronic format is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 22 Jul 2005