"Guild Choir," but it was later enlarged to take in more women and then the name was changed to "Girls' Choir." Mrs. Frank Monroe, who was assistant organist of the church at that time, became the leader and organist for this choir. The vestments were given by Mrs. H. K. Baker and by members of the Guild, and they were made by the Guild.
         During the rectorship of the Rev. Wm. Austin Smith a custom was inaugurated which met with a hearty response. On the Wednesday evening in Holy Week all former members of the choir, from elderly men to lads, were invited to come back to take part in the service, which consisted of the well known hymns these men had sung as boys in the chancel.
         During Mr. Smith's rectorship was revived the Christmas Eve Carol Service which has because a permanent feature of Christmas-tide. Mr. Brooks started the Christmas Eve Carol Services. Then Congregation and Choir joined in singing the carols. This service held in the dimly-lighted, fir-scented church is a fit ushering in of the Holy Season. It was at a carol service on Christmas Eve, 1880, that Phillips Brooks' "0 Little Town of Bethlehem" was sung for the first time in Christ Church. He had sent a copy to his brother, the Rev. John Cotton Brooks. Now a carol service would hardly be complete without the singing of that much loved carol. On the Christmas Eves of 1914 and 1915, our boys sang carols on the Auditorium steps at the Municipal Christmas celebration. For the two years 1921, 1922 the choir which then numbered thirty-five men and boys gave a concert in the Municipal Auditorium, the object being to raise money to send the boys to camp for two weeks during the summer. This fund has also helped to send boys and girls from the Church School, who have attained a high rank in their studies, to camp. The concert programs have been divided into two sections, one secular, consisting of old French and English part songs and modern choruses; and the other arranged to give example of the best type of church music of the English, French and Russian schools. It is interesting to note that the critic in the "Springfield


These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 1999 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in any format or posting to mailing lists is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 27 Jul 2005