INTERIOR OF CHURCH
The part of Christ Church from which the rector conducted the service in Mr. Lee's day, was a chancel in name only. In the statement of the repairs made during the Rev. Mr. Child's rectorship, we find that a chancel was then built, at the rear of the church. It was not until 1835, that throughout the United States, four legged tables were being replaced by altars of solid oak, or more rarely, stone, so lasting had been the Puritan influence. So we cannot state definitely that Christ Church, in Mr. Lee's time, had an altar; even during Dr. Burgess' rectorship, a most simple one was used.
The present edifice faces the west and its altar reverently stands at its easterly end. "In token that Christ is the true Son of Righteousness; for which reason it has ever been the custom of the church to worship towards where the sun rises." The altar now in Christ Church has been in place since the date of the building. The reredos was taken down in about 1908. The superaltar bears the inscription: "I am that Bread of Life." An inscription at the base of the altar reads: "In loving memory of Colonel Roswell Lee, who first established Episcopal service in this city. Born Oct. 14, 1777. Died Aug. 25, 1833. Erected by his daughters."
The cross and the vases were given by the Misses Annie and M. Louise Stebbins in memory of their father. On the cross is engraved the inscription, "1818 John Bliss Stebbins 1899." During the rectorship of Mr. McGann, Mr. H. H. Skinner presented the candlesticks.
The lovely white altar book with its handsome claps, -- a rare copy, since only a few of them were printed-was the
These pages are © Laurel O'Donnell, 1999 - 2005, all rights reserved
Copying these pages without written permission for the purpose of republishing
in any format or posting to mailing lists is strictly forbidden
This page was last updated on 27 Jul 2005